John “Moon” Mullin is the Chicago Bears beat reporter for CSNChicago.com. He has covered the Bears since 1992, working previously at the Chicago Tribune and the Daily Herald.
You can listen below or on iTunes. Read the notes and links below. Here are the highlights of our conversation:
• What has changed about how a beat reporter does his job since John’s first year in 1992.
• How digital is first. Reporters and editors now have to think about mobile strategy when crafting stories.
• The process of reporting, how sourcing is done. How close should a reporter get with a source?
• How competition from national media outlets like ESPN, Yahoo or NFL.com impact local reporter’s jobs.
• Who are the most interesting athletes John has covered in two decades? Why?
• John is a guitar player. If he could play like one guitarist in history, whom would it be?
• What famous baseball game did John attend as a young man living in Pennsylvania? He’ll share his memories.